Our Museum Mission Statement
Our Museum Committee mission is to create, maintain and manage the Branch #63 Collingwood Museum for the enjoyment of the Branch members, families and guests in the North Atlantic Room and though out the Branch’s building and property,
- To provide a “well-thought-of” display of donated Canadian Military, Police, Legion and Ladies Auxiliary artifacts and mementos related to Branch #63 and its member’s history and contribution to the Collingwood area and to Canada.
- To provide a place of reflection and study in the Branch for the enjoyment and use of Branch #63 members, families and guests.
- To provide an income source to the Branch.
For the enjoyment and benefit of our members, we will do this by:
- Visually1 displaying2 artifacts3 that have been donated4 to Branch #635 by
- The Ordinary6 members that served or are serving in the Canadian Armed Forces or Canadian Police Forces;
- By the Associate7 members whose relatives served or are serving in the Canadian Armed Forces or Canadian Police Forces or the Royal Canadian Legion.
- By the Affiliate8 members.
- By members of the public.
- Maintaining a reference library of donated reference materials related to Canadian military, police and Branch #63 where such reference materials would not normally be kept in other public libraries or other public mediums.
- Protecting, securing and preserving the collection and its reputation by:
- maintaining membership in the Ontario Museum Society and a working relationship with the Collingwood Museum, the Simcoe County Museum and/or other museums and organizations as appropriate;
- following OMA recognized management, preservation and display techniques, where reasonable;
- loaning artifacts to other museums and displays;
- borrowing from other museums and/or collectors/owners artifacts that would enhance special displays of our artifacts;
- re-donating to other museums donated artifacts and materials surplus to the Museum’s requirements or which do not conform to its mission.
- Providing a source of income to Branch #63 through
- supporting rental of the space;
- the creation and sale of digital images of the collection;
- the one time sale of donated artifacts and materials surplus to the Museum’s requirements or which do not conform to its mission.
1 There are currently no audio items, no items requiring other mediums.
2 Visually in glass cases, on bookshelves, on walls, hanging from the ceiling.
3 Military, Police or Legion artifacts (a product of human art and workmanship) that reflect the member’s contribution, experience, memories, and associated mementos (object kept as a reminder of a person or event).
4 Donation Receipt Form completed, signed and on-file.
5 Royal Canadian Legion, Branch #63, Collingwood, Ontario. Members are primarily from the surrounding geographic area (<100km) with a small percentage spread around the globe.
6 Ordinary Members: individuals that have or are serving in the Canadian Military and Police services.
7 Associate members: members whose immediate relatives serve or served in the Canadian Armed Services, Police or the Legion.
8 Affiliate Members: members who have no personal or family connection but who support the aims and objectives of the RCL.
9 Reference books, novels, videos, CDs, original documents.